Support for Crime Victims in Bedfordshire
Support for Crime Victims in Bedfordshire
Support for Crime Victims in Bedfordshire
Support for Crime Victims in Bedfordshire
  Call Services for Bedfordshire on 0800 0282 887
Finance and benefits
If you have been a victim of crime, you might be entitled to financial help to make life easier following your experience. If you are unsure how to find out more about this process, a number of organisations exist providing free advice and support to ensure you receive any financial entitlement you are entitled to.
Am I eligible to make a claim?
You might qualify for financial help if you:-
  • Are a victim of crime
  • Are a close relative of someone who has died because of a crime.
  • Have witnessed a serious crime, intervened and were seriously injured.
What type of financial help is available?
Victims of crime can receive financial help in a number of ways. Here are the two main sources:-
If you are a victim of vandalism, burglary or theft, your car or home insurance policy might provide cover to pay for the damage or loss. To find out if this is the case, contact your insurer or read through your policy carefully. Insurance providers usually require a crime reference number to process a claim so the crime must be reported to the police (on the 101 number.)
There are various benefits available for people recovering from serious injuries. If a relative has died as a result of crime, you might also be able to claim bereavement benefits. You can also apply for financial help if you have to take time off low-paid work because you’ve been the victim of a violent crime. A list of organisations offering free advice and information to help you apply for any benefits you’re entitled to is below.
A victim is sometimes granted compensation by a judge during sentencing of an offender. This is known as a Compensation Order. You might also be able to apply to the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority (CICA) if you are unable to receive compensation from anywhere else. The process can be drawn out and is not suitable for people who need urgent financial help. You might be able to claim compensation if you were the victim of a violent crime. This includes if:
- you were injured
- a close relative died
- you saw the crime happen to a loved one or were there immediately afterwards
- you paid for the funeral of a person who died

You usually have to claim within two years of the crime. The crime must have been reported to the police bfore you apply.

Victims of serious crime abroad, or terrorist incidents, may also be entitled to compensation.

Care Co-ordinators in the Signpost Hub can support you in making your application through
Where can I get advice?
You don’t need to hire a solicitor or claims management company to apply for any of the financial help above. The following organisations provide free advice:-
Local Listings
Change Ur Life 1. Change Ur Life
Change Ur Life
Established in 2020, Change Ur Life strongly believes that everyone deserves to live a life filled with happiness, contentment and security. Our team have personally worked in this field for several years, supporting a large number of victims and as a result, have gained a wealth of knowledge and experience. It is for this reason that we have set up services that support victims of domestic abuse in their own homes and the community, with our vision of expanding services to victims of all crimes. We support everyone over the age of 17 years old, no matter what their gender, race or beliefs are, as we strongly believe that no individual should be subject to suffering in silence, so offer a friendly and non-judgemental approach with the mission to make a difference.
Paws Protect 3. Paws Protect
Paws Protect
Domestic violence and pets can make for an unsafe situation, which is why we offer our Paws Protect cat fostering service. Through a network of cat fosterers, the service provides a retreat for pets of those going into a refuge until the owner has a safe place to live and they can be reunited.

All information between the cat owner and foster carer is kept confidential. Our fosterers do not know the identity or whereabouts of the cat owner and vice versa, ensuring complete anonymity.

While it is not possible for the owner to visit their cat while it is being fostered, the Paws Protect team visit the fosterer on a regular basis and provide monthly updates to the owner to give them peace of mind.

Paws Protect covers all the costs of fostering for domestic violence – including cat food, feeding bowls, beds, vaccinations etc so owners know their pet is receiving the best care.
Supporting Victims of Crime
National Listings
Barnardo's Barnardo's
Welcome to Boloh, Barnardo’s COVID-19 helpline and webchat for those 11+

Call us on 0800 1512605 or chat to us online

Are you a Black, Asian or Minority Ethnic child, young person, parent or carer, affected by Covid-19? You can speak to us about your worries, problems and stresses during this time, and we can provide emotional support, practical advice and signposting to other organisations who can provide further help. 

If you’re a professional, you can also contact us to discuss how to support a child or young person they are working with.
Crimestoppers Crimestoppers
Crimestoppers is an independent charity helping police locate criminals and solve crimes through anonymous reporting. The site also provides crime prevention advice for a number of crimes.
Stonewall Housing Stonewall Housing
Stonewall Housing
We give advice about different housing related issues to hundreds of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT+) people every year. We understand what you, or your friends, might be experiencing. So if you need advice, contact us. You can phone us, or you can come along to one of our drop-in surgeries. Some of the housing issues we’ve helped LGBT+ people with include:

if you’re homeless or at risk of becoming homeless;
if your relationship with your family has broken down because of your sexual orientation or gender identity;
if you’ve been victimised or harassed;
if you need to escape from domestic abuse;
if you need advice about a dispute with your landlord;
if you need advice with your housing benefits.
The Coroners' Courts Support Service (CCSS) The Coroners' Courts Support Service (CCSS)
The Coroners' Courts Support Service (CCSS)
The Coroners’ Courts Support Service (CCSS) is
an independent charity founded in 2003. Trained
volunteers offer free, confidential, emotional support
and practical help to bereaved families, witnesses and
others attending an Inquest at some of the Coroners’
Courts in England. We can signpost people to other
appropriate organisations and prior to the Inquest
we can give you support and information via our
Telephone Helpline.
There are no national support services for this in our directory

If you are unsure whether you have been a victim of crime, please talk to one of our advisors on 0800 0282 887